Monday, June 25, 2007

swerve

watch me cry when blooming
watch me take this room in
feathers lift and land again
he doesn't say a word

all I feel is wood and wind
I could be high above the ocean
or on this porch in a salted town
my eyes are warm and wide

(right now I am just another sail unfolding)

and you say "from here you look like Jesus
you look like Barbie on her wedding day
you look like Gandhi as he walked away
you look like Einstein with your hair undone
another pretty little happy kinda clumsy one."
and I wonder what it's like to be you

cause then it's "I don't know why you need this
you're a thousand miles from anything
and you choke me when I try to sing
I think you're crying cause you came undone
and not because I blocked the sun."
and I wonder what it takes to come through

watch me angled upward
watch me miss the coming curve
the biggest thing I never learned
was how to swerve

watch me right another wrong
watch me write another song
I fold his shirt into my palm
and I pull in

(I know he is just another sail unfolding)

and I don't know why I see this
it's a thousand miles from anything
and it chokes me when I try to sing
I think I'm crying cause we came undone
and not for love of anyone
and I wonder what it takes to come through

No comments: