Monday, June 25, 2007

ex-boyfriend song

I'm a little older
but I still got room to grow
yeah, I'm a little bolder
and I want you to know
that I'm a little better at knowing what's mine now
yeah, I'm a little better at telling the time now
cause I'm a little older
and I've still got room to grow
I'm a little bolder
and I want you to know

that you could tell me the moment you realized what it meant to be born the last child in your family / you could show me your apartment and then send me away / you could sell me a poster of your favorite band / you could draw a picture of every one of your ex-girlfriends / holding hands and singing ani into your machine

and you could make me cry just as easy as you could make me laugh out loud / you could force me to forgive you / open up my mouth, and let you crawl on in.

cause I'm an easy game for you to play
I better watch you think, not watch you say
you don't know me now but it's ok
it's not like I’m here to stay

still, I could tell you the moment I realized what it meant to be born in America / I could show you the places on my body I offered up to brown-skinned boys / I could sell you story, not a word of it true / I could show up wearing nothing but your cowboy boots / rain-soaked and smiling and smelling of another boy’s cologne

and I could make you cry just as easy as I could make you laugh out loud / I could force you to forgive me / open up your mouth - I think I'll crawl on in

cause you're an easy game for me to play
you better watch me think not watch me say
cause I've been counting exit signs all day
it's not like you're here to stay


No comments: