Monday, June 25, 2007

lighthouse #6

waist deep and smiling, you are glowing as you drag your body through the tide
as your hands keep time against the breakers
as you sing your heart out to the humming night
I pretend that I can't hear you
but my eyes don't leave that light

some kind of warning for those of us who wander water
but can't stop staring at the land
and when I watch you sleeping now,
I think I understand -

you are not a shore
you are a lighthouse
but I keep reaching for the brightest thing
even as the rocks are surfacing

cause for once I'm undivided
when I look at you I open
when you touch me I am light
I am all here
in your room

but when I slip my keys in this ignition
underneath your window
there is a kind of static in my way
and when I slip my tongue into your goodbye
I think this whole ship could take to flame

cause every time I love there is an ocean in my world
sometimes the waves are real,
sometimes it's another kind of pull
I want to stretch some land across these seas
but I don't want you on your knees
and that means swimming til I cannot see this city
that means your eyes start out as memory
even as they beam right up and open me
open me, love
it is an ocean in this world
that will make us feel
as we break against the earth
and if I take your hand tonight will you still shine?
will you still shine?

No comments: