Monday, June 25, 2007

carnivore

it's Saturday night
the lights, they're bright
the boys are pounding down your door
you turn to me and say "hey, hey -
I've never been a carnivore before.
and I don't know if they like it
but they're opening their doors
and for now I am not hungry,
jaw to jaw with a carnivore"
jaw to jaw with a carnivore

I took a swing, he broke my wings
last time I saw him we pretended we were friends
the thing is, we aren't now
and we probably weren't then
but somehow the pretending makes it easier
to begin again

cause it's a business just like any other business
trading sex for love and hoping it'll be enough
our voices get a little harder,
our fingers get a little softer

his eyes were bigger than his stomach
her mouth was bigger than his eyes
and the only word she knows for love is
come-here-baby-lick-off-the-disguise
last time she saw him, he told her he was lonely
she played the last card in her hand,
a face he never thought she'd show:
smiled and nodded like she didn't notice what he'd said
like she didn't already know

sometimes I think that all this dissonance
is just a tune we cannot hear
sometimes we drown out all the harmony
drumming to our fear
you say he could be the one to turn your life around
well, an anvil, a piano - it's all the same when it hits the ground

now there's no one around, the sound is down,
a boy is huddled on my floor
he turns to me and says "why did I let
a carnivore inside my door?
cause I don't think that I like this,
but I keep coming back for more,
and if break me I will leave them starving
mouths aflame and stomachs torn."

jaw to jaw with a carnivore
mmm...

No comments: